Are you in a mood to eat filet mignon? Fancy looking steak houses are always expensive. You can enjoy the same luxurious touch and appeal at home. Save your hard-earned money by knowing how to cook filet mignon at home. It’s not just a money saving idea, but when you have a special friend coming by, or you want to plan a romantic dinner, this quick skillet-steak recipe could serve a great purpose.
Today, I will share one of the most comfortable electric skillet recipes with you. Cooking timing is less than 30 minutes, and you don’t have to grab too many things for cooking restaurant-style steak in an electric skillet. Let’s start exploring the details.
Ingredients for Cooking Filet Mignon in skillet
- Two filets Mignon
- Black pepper
- One clove of garlic
- 1/4 cup butter
- Grapeseed oil
- Rosemary (fresh or dried)
How to cook filet mignon/steak in an electric skillet
Here are a few steps you need to follow.
- Wash and pat dry filet with a cotton cloth.
- Once the filet gets dried, sprinkle salt and pepper generously on every side. Press a bit, so salt and pepper find their way to the inner side of the filet.
- Plug on your cast-iron electric skillet. Add oil and set the temperature at 175 degrees Fahrenheit. Once the oil starts smoking, you need to place a filet in it. If a pan is small, one filet is enough to cook. In a 12-inch rectangular frying pan, you can cook two steaks at a time.
- Once you place the filet in the pan, please don’t turn it in for at least the first five minutes. After that time, turn its side.
- The reason for not turning the side is that you need a perfect salty crush on your filet mignon, and it won’t be created if you turn the filet quickly. So, you better have patience.
- Cook another side for at least four more minutes.
- Add butter in the pan, alongside garlic and rosemary.
- Tilt your pan so this mixture of garlic butter reaches every surface, and your steak can have its taste.
- Use a spoon, fill it with oil, and pour it all over the steak. This way, you will have a perfect-fried steak with a crispy salty crust.
- Turn off the electric skillet and dish out your juicy and yummy filet mignon.
- Wait for at least five minutes, and then start slicing your filet.
What to serve with filet mignon?
When you are making it for a particular day, you need to serve it with mashed potatoes and steak sauce. Other great options are baked potatoes, stir-fried vegetables, or salad. Green salad and broccoli always enhance the taste of steak skillet.
At what temperature can I cook filet mignon in an electric skillet?
The temperature should be medium to a low level. In case you like to taste medium-rare, then the temperature must be between 145-155 degrees. Temperature degree depends mostly on the doneness you want. For medium-rare, set the temperature at 130-135 degrees Fahrenheit. In case you need to make a medium level, the right temperature setting is 145-155°. For medium filet mignon cooking, the temperature is 155 degrees Fahrenheit. Try not to exceed the temperature setting over 155 degrees Fahrenheit because this way, you will not get the juicy flavor.
How to Make the perfect Crust of Filet mignon?
- If you want to cook chef-style filet mignon in your electric skillet at home, you need to be careful about one thing. Never place filet in the pan unless oil is at its high-temperature level. You can feel the warmth of oil temperature by keeping your palm 3 inches above the arm (in the air). Another good idea is to sprinkle a pinch of flour, and it will start getting golden right away. In this way, you will get an idea that oil temperature is just right.
- Another thing to keep in mind for making a perfectly crunchy crust of filet mignon in a skillet is never to turn the side of the filet before 5 minutes. It means you won’t use any spoon for turning.
- When you remain careful about these two tips, you would surely be able to have a presentable filet mignon just like your mother used to have in the 90s.
Oil or Butter: What should You Use for Cooking filet mignon in electric skillet?
It would be best if you used both. Start cooking filet with a neutral oil like grapeseed, olive oil, etc. Once both sides have their crust, you can cook mignon with butter. After adding butter, keep basting the filet, so it gets butter and garlic taste quite well.
Are beef tenderloin and filet mignon the same thing?
Well, they are not the same thing. Filet mignon is a part that comes from the end part of the tenderloin. It is one of the best steak cuts you can enjoy in a fancy restaurant. However, beef tenderloin is a big part that is often roasted for making a fun-filled treat for the whole family.